In almost every country, the proportion of people aged over 60 years is growing faster than any other age group, as a result of both longer life expectancy and declining fertility rates.
This population ageing can be seen as a success story for public health policies and for socioeconomic development, but it also challenges society to adapt, in order to maximize the health and functional capacity of older people as well as their social participation and security.
WHO programme and activities
- Age-friendly environments
- Health systems aligned to older populations
- Long-term-care systems
- Data and research
- World report on ageing and health
- Global strategy and action plan on ageing and health 2016-2020
- Good health adds life to years