Management of solid health-care waste at primary health-care centres
A decision-making guide
The objective of this document is to provide guidance for selecting the most appropriate for safely managing solid waste generated at Primary Health-Care centres (PHCs) in developing countries. The main tool of this guide consists of six decision-trees aimed at assisting the user in identifying appropriate waste management methods. The guide takes into consideration the most relevant local conditions, the safety of workers and of the general public as well as of environmental criteria.
This guide is composed of the following parts:
- Basic risks associated with poor management of heath care waste.
- Basic elements for safe health-care waste management (HCWM)
- Parameters to assess before selecting HCWM options
- Technical annexes describing HCWM options
- Estimation of costs of the various options
- Decision-trees, assisting the selection of HCWM options
This guide may also be used to evaluate existing practices related to health-care waste management. More detailed sources of information on handling and storage practices, technical options for treatment and disposal of wastes, training and personal protection, and assessment of a country’s situation, are presented in Annex A.