Water, sanitation and hygiene have important impacts on both health and disease.
Water-related diseases include:
- those due to micro-organisms and chemicals in water people drink;
- diseases like schistosomiasis which have part of their lifecycle in water;
- diseases like malaria with water-related vectors;
- drowning and some injuries;
- and others such as legionellosis carried by aerosols containing certain micro-organisms.
Water also contributes to health, for example through hygiene.
More information on water-related diseases
Recent WSH publications
Water Safety in Distribution Systems
Toxic cyanobacteria in water
Management of solid health-care waste at primary health-care centres
Updated WHO/WEDC Technical Notes on WASH in Emergencies
Safe management of wastes from healthcare activities - Second edition
Progress on sanitation and drinking-water