Toolkit for delivering the 5A’s and 5R’s brief tobacco interventions to TB patients in primary care
This toolkit was developed based on WHO Capacity Building Training Package 4 entitled “Strengthening health systems for treating tobacco dependence in primary care” and A WHO/The Union Monograph on TB and tobacco control: joining efforts to control two related global epidemics. Its target audience are TB care providers. It aims to serve as a quick reference guide to help TB care providers deliver brief tobacco interventions as part of their routine practice in primary care. The content of this toolkit includes:
- Tuberculosis and tobacco use: a deadly combination;
- The unique role of the TB care provider in tobacco control;
- Basics of tobacco use and tobacco dependence;
- The 5A’s model to help patients ready to quit;
- The 5R’s model to increase motivation to quit;
- The 5A’s to avoid exposure to secondhand smoke.