Develop a national plan for district-level surgical services.
- Emergency surgical services
- Commitment to education and training of health care providers in emergency and essential procedures for surgery, trauma, obstetrics, and anesthesia.
Aide-Memoire: Surgical & Emergency Obstetrical Care
WHO planning tool for emergency and essential surgical services at the first referral level
Organization & Management
Training Curriculum on Emergency & Essential Surgical Skills
Quality and safety
Ensure high standards of care and patient safety at all levels.
- Best practice protocols and clinical guidelines
- Standard operating procedures
- Monitoring and evaluation of the quality of procedures and equipment
Provide access to WHO recommendations on basic requirements for emergency and essential surgical services and equipment.
- Adequate functioning equipment and trained staff
- Disaster plan for trauma care
WHO Generic Essential Emergency Equipment List
Guide to Anaesthetic Infrastructure and Supplies at Various Levels of Health Care Facilities
Disaster Management Guidelines
Education and training
Continuous education, training, and evaluation on the effective management of surgically-treatable conditions.
- Training, education and e-learning tools on best practice protocols on emergency procedures
- Maintenance of essential equipment
- Impact evaluation