Special project on street children
The WHO Street Children Project aims at improving the health, welfare and quality of life of street children. The focus of the project is on developing the capacity of local organizations to prevent, assess and manage psychoactive substance use problems among street children. Through extensive research and training activities and as a contribution to local capacity building, WHO developed a training package for street educators. The contents of the package constitute an inventory of basic factors that are key in implementing interventions targeting street children in relation to substance use, sexual reproductive health and HIV/AIDS, and STDs.
This package contains essential knowledge and skill(s) for street educators, programme planners and advocates for street children. The training package is divided into two parts:
The first part of the package consists of 10 training modules that provide information on problems street children may face and the essential skills and knowledge educators need to function in a dynamic environment on the street.
The second part is a compilation of trainer tips which provide ideas on how the topics can be taught using a variety of teaching methods
A second document focuses on monitoring and evaluation and it is closely linked to Module 10: Implementing a Street Children Project of the above-mentioned training package. Practical examples are provided on how monitoring and evaluation can be effectively carried out.
Working With Street Children: A Training Package on Substance Use, Sexual and Reproductive Health Including HIV/AIDS and STDs
- Introduction [.pdf, 100kb, 18pg]
- Module 1: A profile of street children [.pdf, 100kb, 28pg]
- Module 2: responsibilities of street educators [.pdf, 100kb, 36pg]
- Module 3: understanding substance use among street children
- Module 4: understanding sexual and reproductive health including HIV/AIDS and STDs among street children [.pdf, 100kb, 34pg]
- Module 5: determining the needs and priorities of street children [.pdf, 100kb, 48pg]
- Module 6: responding to the needs and problems of street children [.pdf, 100kb, 32pg]
- Module 7: teaching street children [.pdf, 100kb, 36pg]
- Module 8: selected health care needs for street children [.pdf, 100kb, 48pg]
- Module 9: involving the community [.pdf, 100kb, 32pg]
- Module 10: implementing a street children project [.pdf, 100kb, 24pg]
- Trainer tips [.pdf, 100kb, 96pg]