Global experts’ consultation for the development of the leaders’ guide
First Global Experts’ Consultation for the Development of the Leaders Guide on Patient Safety and Quality of Care in Service Delivery
20-21 March 2014
WHO HQ, Geneva Switzerland
The first global experts’ consultation for the development of the WHO Leaders Guide on Patient Safety and Quality of Care in Service Delivery took place at WHO HQ in Geneva Switzerland, 20-21 March 2014.
Over 25 experts from around the world in the areas of health care management, financing, patient safety and quality of care gathered at WHO to address the global need for strengthening leadership capacity to deliver safe and quality health services.
A draft Leadership Competencies Framework on Patient Safety and Quality of Care has been developed by WHO through a literature search and analysis of findings. This draft Framework was debated by participating experts and formed the basis for:
- technical discussions during the consultation;
- agreement on the competencies necessary for enhancing leaders’ capacity to prioritize and direct the delivery of safe and quality health services;
- agreement on the learning topics/chapters and content of the Leaders’ Guide.
7 Goals of the Leaders’ Guide on Patient Safety and Quality of Care
- Address the global need for organizational/leadership education and training in patient safety and quality improvement.
- Raise the international profile of the importance of leadership for safe and high quality service delivery.
- Inform health-care leadership about the key areas in patient safety and quality improvement.
- Engage leadership to support patient safety and quality improvements in their organizations.
- Provide guidance and tools to develop leaders’ competencies in patient safety and quality improvement.
- Enhance patient safety and quality as a theme throughout health-care management curricula.
- Foster international collaboration and research in this area.