16 Ideas for addressing violence against women in the context of the HIV epidemic
A programming tool
About the tool
The programming tool provides evidence-summaries for 16 programming approaches for preventing and responding to violence against women in the context of the HIV epidemic.
The tool is aimed at
- managers of national HIV programmes from relevant line ministries;
- national and international nongovernmental organizations and community-based organizations;
- UN agencies and programmes;and
- institutions conducting intervention research and providing technical support for violence against women and HIV programmes.
Four areas where changes needs to happen
- empowerment of women through integrated, multi-sectoral approaches;
- transforming social and cultural norms related to gender;
- integrating violence against women and HIV services; and
- promoting and implementing laws and policies related to violence against women, gender equality and HIV
A key feature of this tool is an inter-active programming wheel that summarizes the 16 ideas and the core values that must guide all programming on violence against women.