Meeting of the WHO Nutrition Guidance Expert Advisory Group (NUGAG)
Subgroup on Micronutrients
The March 2011 meeting will be the 3rd meeting for the Subgroup on Micronutrients.
The main objectives of this meeting are:
- Discuss the evidence-informed recommendations on global guidelines on:
- home (point of use) fortification of foods with multiple micronutrient powders for children,
- home (point of use) fortification of foods with multiple micronutrient powders for pregnant women,
- supplementation with iron and folic acid for women during pregnancy,
- intermittent iron supplementation regimens for women of reproductive age,
- intermittent iron supplementation regimens for children,
- intermittent iron supplementation regimens for women during pregnancy, and
- safety of iron supplementation for children living in areas of high malaria transmission.
- Determine the strength of the recommendations, considering the balance of evidence for benefits and harms, and taking into account costs, values and preferences.
- Define implications for research in the areas discussed.
- Agree on a ‘review by’ date for the guideline validity, considering the ongoing research and controversies.
- Scope new guidelines and priority questions for targeted micronutrient interventions following the processes established in the WHO Handbook for Guideline Development.