16 October 2014 -- Preparatory process leading towards the FAO/WHO ICN2 reaches a breakthrough milestone. Member States witnessed a breakthrough milestone on 12 October 2014 when they reached a consensus on key policy recommendations to tackle nutrition challenges during the next 10 years.
9 October 2014 -- UNICEF, WHO and the World Bank released an updated joint data set on child stunting, underweight, overweight, wasting and severe wasting. This data set was used to derive new global and regional estimates of prevalence and numbers affected, according to various country group classifications. The outcome of this joint work include:
• Interactive dashboards enabling users to generate graphs for the time-series (1990 – 2013)
• A summary factsheet with key messages
• Data tables with global and regional prevalence and numbers affected including 95% Confidence Intervals
25 September 2014 -- The WHO e-Library of Evidence for Nutrition Actions (eLENA) has recently been updated to include the following nutrition interventions:
• Exclusive breastfeeding to reduce the risk of childhood overweight and obesity
• Reducing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages to reduce the risk of childhood overweight and obesity
• Limiting portion sizes to reduce the risk of childhood overweight and obesity
• Increasing fruit and vegetable consumption to reduce the risk of noncommunicable diseases
• Reducing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages to reduce the risk of unhealthy weight gain in adults
31 July 2014 -- World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year from 1 to 7 August in more than 170 countries to encourage breastfeeding and improve the health of babies around the world. WHO actively promotes breastfeeding as the best source of nourishment for infants and young children.