How to promote international cooperation and coordination
The UN High-level Meeting on NCDs is the time to acknowledge that NCDs are a major threat to health and development worldwide, and that we know how to prevent, treat and reduce the burden of NCDs. We must act now to:
- Make prevention work worldwide and involve all sectors
- Invest in strong health systems and services and scale up access to NCD treatment and care in all countries
- Establish robust health financing systems
- Put NCDs at the heart of efforts to promote economic growth and position NCDs as central to development
Policy implementation steps
- This is the second time in the UN history that the UN General Assembly will meet on an emerging health issue with major socio-economic impact.
- The UN General Assembly is calling for the participation of Heads of State and Government
- The UN General Assembly has requested that the Meeting will result in a concise action-oriented outcome document, that will contain commitments to address NCDs. This will shape the international agenda for generations to come.
- The Millennium Development Goals and tobacco control
- Gender, women and the tobacco epidemic
- UN Secretary-General's report on the prevention and control of NCDs
- Moscow Declaration on NCDs adopted by the World Health Assembly [pdf, 30.5 Ko]
Informal interactive hearing for civil society and the private sector
Draft outcome document of the UN high-level meeting on NCDs