How to enable health systems to respond more effectively and equitably to the health-care needs of people with NCDs
- Improve health care for NCDs.
- Strengthen health systems, based on primary health care.
- Services must be accessible and affordable to all sections of the population - rich and poor, and need to include essential technologies, medicines and technologies, and referral and health information systems as well as skilled health workers.
Policy implementation steps
- Integrate NCD plans into wider health system planning
- Provide early detection and treatment services for people at a high risk of heart attacks and strokes and curable cancers
- Develop health financing policies that move towards universal coverage
- Establish policies that make generic medicines and effective and appropriate technologies accessible for all
- Provide training for health workers at all levels of care
- Global status report on noncommunicable diseases
- The world health report 2010: Health systems financing - the path to universal coverage
- Prevention of cardiovascular disease: guideline for assessment and management of cardiovascular risk
- Prevention of cardiovascular disease: Pocket guidelines for assessment and management of cardiovascular risk
- Prevention of recurrent heart attacks and strokes in low- and middle-income countries
Cancer control: knowledge into action
Increasing access to health workers in remote and rural areas through improved retention