Global coordination mechanism for NCDs
Resolution WHA66.10 requests the WHO Director-General to:
- Paragraph 5.2: to develop draft terms of reference for a global coordination mechanism, as outlined in paragraphs 14–15 of the WHO Global NCD Action Plan 2013–2020, aimed at facilitating engagement among Member States, United Nations funds, programmes and agencies, and other international partners and non-State actors, while safeguarding WHO and public health from undue influence by any form of real, perceived or potential conflicts of interest, without pre-empting the results of ongoing WHO discussions on engagement with non-State actors.
- Paragraph 5.3: to develop the draft terms of reference referred to in paragraph 5.2 through a formal Member States’ meeting in November 2013, preceded by consultations with:
- Member States, including through regional committees;
- United Nations agencies, funds and programmes and other relevant intergovernmental organizations;
- nongovernmental organizations and private sector entities, as appropriate, and other relevant stakeholders;
and to be submitted, through the Executive Board, to the Sixty-seventh World Health Assembly for approval.
The consultative process moving forward is as follows:
- WHO conducted a round of consultations on a first WHO Discussion Paper between 23 July 2013 and 30 October 2013.
- 1 November 2013 – The WHO Secretariat published a second WHO Discussion Paper (version dated 1 November 2013). Member States, UN organizations, relevant NGOs and selected private sector entities are invited to submit their comments and views by sending an email to email@example.com before 11 November 2013.
- 11-12 November 2013 – – Formal meeting of Member States to conclude the work on the terms of reference for a global coordination mechanism on the prevention and control of NCDs
- 20-25 January 2014 – EB134 may consider a report of the Formal Meeting
- 19-24 May 2014 – WHA67 may consider a report of the Formal Meeting