Problem solving approach
Question 4: Is problem solving approach better than treatment as usual for persons with thoughts or plans of self-harm in the last month or acts of self-harm in the last year?
- Population: persons with thoughts, plans or acts of self-harm
- Interventions: problem solving approach
- Comparison: treatment as usual
- suicide mortality
- repetition of suicide attempts and acts of self-harm
- thoughts or plans of self-harm, hopelessness
- quality of life
- functionality status.
A structured problem solving approach should be considered as a treatment for persons with acts of self-harm in the last year, if there are sufficient human resources (e.g. supervised community health workers).
Strength of recommendation: STANDARD