Psychosocial support for the management of cannabis dependence and abuse
Question 4: Is psychosocial support effective in the management of cannabis dependence and abuse in non-specialist settings?
- Population: dependent and harmful cannabis users
- Interventions (Modeled upon motivational enhancement and/or cognitive-behavioural approaches) :
- short duration (defined as 1 to 4 sessions) counseling
- extended counseling (6 or more sessions)
- Comparison: placebo or treatment as usual
- short duration counseling vs. no active treatment
- short duration counseling vs. extended counseling
- extended counseling vs. no active treatment
- cannabis consumption (abstinence rates, days used)
- cannabis related problems
- quality of life / broader health outcomes.
Short duration psychosocial support (1 to 2 sessions) modeled on motivational principles should be offered for the treatment of cannabis use disorders in non-specialized settings.
Strength of recommendation: STRONG
Individuals with cannabis use disorders who do not respond to short duration psychosocial support may be referred for treatment in a specialist setting, when available.
Strength of recommendation: STANDARD