Global Campaign against Epilepsy: Out of the Shadows
To improve acceptability, treatment, services and prevention of epilepsy worldwide
Established in 1997 as a joint project of the:
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE)
- International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE)
- increase public and professional awareness of epilepsy as a universal, treatable brain disorders;
- raise epilepsy to a new plane of acceptability in the public domain;
- promote public and professional education about epilepsy;
- identify the needs of people with epilepsy on a national and regional basis;
- encourage governments and departments of health to address the needs of people with epilepsy including awareness, education, diagnosis, treatment, care, services, and prevention.
Working along two parallel tracks, the Campaign will:
- raise general awareness and understanding of epilepsy;
- support Departments of Health in identifying needs and promoting education, training, treatment, services, research and prevention in their countries.
- to generate Regional Declarations on Epilepsy, produce information on epilepsy for policy-makers, incorporate epilepsy care into National Health Plans, and facilitate the establishment of national organizations of professionals and lay persons who are dedicated to promoting the well-being of people with epilepsy;
- to help organize Demonstration Projects that illustrate good practice in the provision of epilepsy care.