Meetings related to leadership and management of health services
Africa Health Leadership and Management Network
Nairobi, Kenya, 3-5 December 2008
Following the health leadership and management consultation in Accra (2007), and a side meeting at the Kampala HRH Forum (2008), a group of training and research institutions active in Africa decided to contribute to the scale up of health service delivery through improved management development interventions. A resource network was established as a means of sharing expertise and building capacity to support countries in the region.
The African Medical and Research Foundation in Nairobi (AMREF) and the Centre Africain d'Etudes Superieures en Gestion (CESAG), lead the process to develop the network with support from WHO (HQ and AFRO).
The objectives of the network are as follows:
- To expand technical assistance resources available to countries in the area of health management and human resources development
- To pool the institutions' human and technical resources to create greater synergy and impact
- To facilitate intra-regional integration and exchange of knowledge, services and expertise
- To agree on benchmarks and standards for improving institutions performance
- Serve as a forum for collective advocacy for resources to support improved health service delivery through better management
- To support African countries efforts to attain MDG targets
The aim of the "foundation meeting" is to agree upon a constitution and set out a business and action plan for supporting and building health systems and management strengthening technical capacity in the African region.
Final Meeting Report
Conference Statement 07 Dec 2008
List of Participants
Building Management Capacity for PHC renewal
Draft resource network Constitution (English - French)
Ouagadougou Declaration on primary health care and health systems in Africa
Déclaration de Ouagadougou (FR)
Declaração de Ouagadougou (PT)