7 June 2013 - Update number 187
• Influenza activity in the northern hemisphere temperate zones has decreased to low levels.
• The influenza activity in tropical areas have been varying- but relatively stable since the last update, Madagascar reported high influenza activity.
• Influenza activity in the southern hemisphere has started to increase in South America, and in South Africa but remained low in Oceania.
• For information on H7N9 in China please see link below.
• A summary review of the Northern Hemisphere was published in the World Epidemiological Report on 31 May 2013. (see link below)
Source of data
The Global Influenza Programme monitors influenza activity worldwide and publishes an update every two weeks.
The updates are based on available epidemiological and virological data sources, including FluNet (reported by the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System) and influenza reports from WHO Regional Offices and Member States. Completeness can vary among updates due to availability and quality of data available at the time when the update is developed.