Influenza pandemics are unpredictable but recurring events that can cause severe social, economic, and political stress. Advanced planning and preparedness are critical in helping to mitigate the impact of influenza epidemic or pandemics.
- WHO provides guidance documents to inform and harmonize national and international preparedness and response to pandemics.
- WHO also supports countries in developing national pandemic preparedness plans though capacity building activities and simulation exercises.
All publications and related documents
- Pandemic influenza risk management - WHO interim guidance
- WHO pandemic influenza preparedness and response guidance
- WHO checklist for influenza pandemic preparedness planning
- Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Framework
Whole-of-Society Pandemic Readiness
Considerations on exercises to validate pandemic preparedness plans
- WHO activities in avian influenza and pandemic influenza preparedness
- Evolution of a pandemic A(H1N1)2009, April 2009 - August 2010, 2nd edition
- Public health measures during the influenza A(H1N1) 2009 pandemic
- Global consultation on addressing ethical issues in pandemic influenza planning
Maintaining a Safe and Adequate Blood Supply during Pandemic Influenza
Options for the design and financing of an H5N1 vaccine stockpile: key findings and study methodology
- Proposals to finalize remaining elements of the “Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Framework for sharing influenza viruses and access to vaccines and other benefits
- WHO consultation for the development of a global action plan for increasing pandemic vaccine supply, 2-3 May 2006
- Global pandemic influenza action plan to increase vaccine supply
- Agencies and Governmental Representatives on Influenza Pandemic Vaccines
- Informal consultation on influenza pandemic preparedness in countries with limited resources
- WHO guidelines on the use of vaccines and antivirals during influenza pandemics
- Vaccines for pandemic influenza. Informal meeting of WHO, influenza vaccine manufacturers, national licensing afencies, and government representatives on influenza pandemic vaccines. Summary report
- Will Vaccines Be Available for the Next Influenza Pandemic?