Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (IPAC)
What is IPAC?
The Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (IPAC), established in 2010, supports and advises the Director of the Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals (IVB), with the review and/or formulation of immunization practices, operational standards, tools and technologies to strengthen and improve the delivery of immunization programmes at the country level in order to realize the goals of Global Immunization Vision and Strategies (GIVS) and Global Vaccine Action Plan (GVAP).
Countries will benefit from the development of innovative strategies and guidelines to address challenges and barriers to immunization access and service delivery.
The role of the IPAC is to provide advice and recommendations to the Director IVB, on three main interconnected areas:
- Innovation and Strategy
- Tools and technologies
IPAC has no executive, regulatory or decision-making function.
With the knowledge and skills that are contained in this group, IPAC plays a dynamic and important role in advising and supporting WHO/IVB in strengthening and improving immunization programmes at country level.
- Chair: Chris MORGAN – Principal (Immunization, Vaccines and Immunity), Centre for International Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- Kwadwo-Odei ANTWI-AGYEI – EPI Manager, Disease Control and Prevention Dept, Natl Health Service, Ghana
- Robin BIELLIK – Medical Epidemiologist currently based in Switzerland
- Jon COLTON – Professor of Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA
- Shelley DEEKS – Medical Director of Immunization, Public Health Ontario and Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Canada
- Francois GASSE – Private Consultant, France
- Jean-Marc OLIVE – Private Consultant, France
- Robert STEINGLASS – Immunization Team Leader, Maternal & Child Health Integrated Program, and Project Director, Africa Routine Immunization System Essentials – John Snow Inc, Virginia
- Carla VIZZOTTI – Head of the Immunization Programme at the National Ministry of Health in Argentina
Five organizations have been requested to take part as observers during IPAC meetings. Observers take part in all aspects of IPAC, but will not have voting or recommending rights. These organizations will be represented by the following persons:
- UNICEF: Adama Sawadogo, Cold Chain & Logistics Specialist
- CDC: Danni Daniels, Epidemiologist
- PATH: Debbie KRISTENSEN – Group Leader, Vaccine Technologies
- IFPMA: Mary ALLIN - Senior Director/Global Regulatory Lead, Pfizer
- DCVMN: Reinaldo DE MENEZES MARTINS – Scientific Consultant, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Bio Manguinhos
Vaccine Presentation and Packaging Advisory Group (VPPAG)
VPPAG provides a forum for public sector and vaccine manufacturers to discuss and reach consensus on vaccine presentation and packaging issues to support the development of products suited to low and middle income country contexts.
For more information on IPAC, please contact:
World Health Organization (WHO)
Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals (IVB)
20 Avenue Appia
CH-1211 Geneva 27