IHR Committees and Expert Roster
IHR Emergency Committee
When there is an event that is preliminarily determined to be determined to be a 'public health emergency of international concern' (PHEIC), the Director-General of WHO must seek the views of an IHR Emergency Committee established under Article 48 on appropriate temporary recommendations, and, if there is no consensus with the State Party concerned that a PHEIC is occurring, advice on the issue whether the event constitutes a PHEIC (Article 12).
- IHR Emergency Committee on Zika virus and observed increase in neurological disorders and neonatal malformations
- IHR Emergency Committee regarding Ebola
IHR Emergency Committee concerning ongoing events and context involving transmission and international spread of poliovirus
IHR Emergency Committee concerning Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
IHR Emergency Committee concerning Influenza Pandemic (H1N1) 2009
- Frequently asked questions on IHR Emergency Committee
- Review Committee on the Role of the International Health Regulations (2005) on the Ebola Outbreak Response
IHR Review Committee
Director-General of WHO shall also establish an IHR Review Committee under Article 50.
- Meeting of the IHR Review Committee on Second Extensions for establishing national public health capacities and on IHR implementation
- External review of pandemic response
Roles of IHR Review Committee
- make technical recommendations to the Director-General regarding amendments to IHR;
- provide technical advice to the Director-General with respect to standing recommendations, and any modifications or terminations thereof;
- provide technical advice to the Director-General on any matter referred to it by the Director General regarding the functioning of IHR.
IHR Expert Roster
The members of an IHR Committee are drawn from the IHR Expert Roster established under Article 47, which includes experts in all relevant fields of expertise, and from the members of WHO Expert Advisory Panels.
The Director-General of WHO appoints the members of IHR Expert Roster in accordance with WHO Regulations for Expert Advisory Panels and Committees except as otherwise stated in the IHR.
- WHO Regulations for Expert Advisory Panels and Committees
- WHO Expert Advisory Panels and Committees member nomination process
- WHO Expert Advisory Panels and Committees
In addition, the Director-General appoints one member at the request of each State Party.