WHO technical working group on HIV incidence assays
Report of the annual meeting (26–27 September 2012 Geneva, Switzerland)
This meeting follows the August 2011 Working Group meeting that took place in Atlanta, Georgia, USA and addresses the key outcomes of that meeting.
This report documents the meeting’s objectives, outcomes, main discussion points and next steps for the Working Group meeting that is proposed to take place in about 12 months.
Objectives of the meeting
- to update progress on the draft protocol for field validation of assay-based estimation of HIV incidence;
- to present a draft guidance document for estimating HIV incidence in case-based surveillance systems in high-income countries;
- to present a concept note on estimating the level of and risk factors for recently acquired infection in cross-sectional settings;
- to provide an update on the grant proposal by the United Kingdom Health Protection Agency and Blood Systems Research Institute and coordination and synergy with the Gates Foundation grant;
- to review the recommendations made and progress since the last meeting held in Atlanta in August 2011; and
- to outline the work for 2012–2013.