Types of Healthy Settings
Health Promoting Universities
Part of the wider movement for Healthy Settings, the Health Promoting University (HPU) initiative was launched in 1995 by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), and remains active today.
The HPU initiative aims to integrate processes and structures within the university's culture supportive of a commitment to health and health promotion. Additionally, the initiatives promote the health and well-being of staff, students and the wider community.
Examples of implementation
University of Central Lancashire (UK); Universität Bielefeld (Germany), six universities in the Beijing area (China); 72 universities in the United States.
- WHO Regional Office for Europe Health Promoting Universities
- University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) - Health Promoting University
- Universität Bielefeld - Health Promoting University
- American Network of Health Promoting Universities
- Xiangyang T. et al (2003) Beijing health promoting universities: practice and evaluation." Health Promotion International. 18(2): 107