Key policy documents
WHO Emergency Risk Management and Humanitarian Response department works closely with Member States, international partners, and local institutions to help communities prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies, disasters and crises. We are committed to:
- Saving lives and reducing suffering in times of crises
- Building efficient partnerships for emergency management and ensuring these are properly coordinated
- Advocating for political support and consistent resources for disaster preparedness, response, and recovery
- Developing evidence based guidance for all phases of emergency work in the health sector
- Strengthening capacity and resilience of health systems and countries to mitigate and manage disasters
- Ensuring international capacity is available to support countries for emergency response through training and establishment of surge capacity.
Emergency Response Framework (ERF)
ERF is to clarify WHO’s roles and responsibilities and to provide a common approach for its work in emergencies.