SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands - WHO's global annual call to action for health workers
Strengthening healthcare systems and delivery – hand hygiene is your entrance door
Use the WHO Hand Hygiene Self-Assessment Framework and submit results to WHO before 31 December 2015!
After 10 years of the WHO Clean is Safer Care programme, here are 10 reasons why you should be part of it:
- Hand hygiene at the right times saves lives.
- Hand hygiene in health care has saved millions of lives in the last years.
- Hand hygiene is a quality indicator of safe healthcare systems.
- Health-care problems, like HAIs which are often invisible but nevertheless still occur, are political and social challenges that we must address now.
- Infections can be stopped through good hand hygiene, and patient and health worker harm prevented for less than $10.
- Affordable life-saving technology is available! Alcohol-based handrub, which costs approximately $3 per bottle, can prevent HAI and millions of deaths every year.
- #handhygiene exists in the media, which means it exists as an important topic, whether due to HAI or outbreaks of deadly diseases like Ebola.
- Embedding specific moments for hand hygiene action into health worker workflow makes it easier to do the right thing every minute, every hour, every day.
- Infection prevention is at the heart of strengthening health-care systems. Hand hygiene is core to all interventions, whether inserting an invasive device, managing a surgical wound, or giving an injection.
- The social epidemic has already begun to spread with SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands, a successful global campaign promoting hand hygiene action at the point of patient care.