Food Safety News No 12
Food Safety NewsNo 12 - 26 August 2004
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Vacancy Announcement for Food Standards Officer (Codex Secretariat)
- Side events at the upcoming 2nd FAO/WHO Global Forum of Food Safety Regulators, Bangkok, Thailand, 12-14 October 2004
- FAO/WHO Codex Trust Fund, applications for 2005
- New Publications
Vacancy Announcement for Food Standards Officer (Codex Secretariat)
A vacancy announcement for a Food Standards Officer (P-3 level) in the Codex Secretariat has been issued on the FAO web site. It should be noted that this vacancy announcement is for an unidentified post and the actual recruitment will take place pending future vacancy at the P-3 level.
You are also reminded that the vacancy announcement for a Senior Food Standards Officer (P-5 level) in the Codex Secretariat will remain open until 7 September 2004. More information is available at: http://www.fao.org/VA/vac_en.htm
Side events at the upcoming 2nd FAO/WHO Global Forum of Food Safety Regulators, Bangkok, Thailand, 12-14 October 2004
In connection with the Global Forum a number of side events will be organized. Details of these side events will be posted on the Global Forum web site as they become available: http://www.foodsafetyforum.org/global2/index_en.asp
- Consumers International will host a side event focusing on Consumer Food Safety Concerns, 14 October 2004
- IAEA/WHO/FAO will host a Seminar on the Use of Irradiation as a Phytosanitary and Food Safety Tool for Horticultural Produce Traded Internationally, 11 October 2004
- The Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand in cooperation with the World Health Organization (WHO) will convene a one-day international symposium on 15 October, 2004 at the Siam City Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand entitled “In Search of a Better and Effective Food Safety System: Thailand towards Kitchen of the World". Symposium website: www.ahs.chula.ac.th/foodsafety2004/
FAO/WHO Codex Trust Fund, applications for 2005
Information concerning applications for support from the Trust Fund for 2005 was sent on 13 August to all Codex Contact Points via the Codex-L list. It has also been circulated to all FAO and WHO regional and country offices. This information is also posted on the Trust Fund web page at: http://www.who.int/foodsafety/codex/trustfund/en/. The following key points should be noted:
- Only applications submitted on behalf of the country by the officially designated Codex Contact Point no later than 31 October 2004 will be receivable. There will be no further call for applications for the year 2005.
- Applications should be sent to the Trust Fund Secretariat direct (firstname.lastname@example.org), and any queries concerning the application process should be addressed to this e-mail address only. Applications sent through other channels may fail to meet the deadline and not be receivable.
- "Food and health in Europe: a new basis for action"
- European data on exposure and intake of chemical contaminants online
- Sub-regional workshop for the development of national food safety strategies for South Eastern European countries, Brijouni, Croatia, 5-7 July 2004. This workshop has been organized as part of the Food Safety Project under the Stability Pact Initiative for social cohesion in the Balkans: http://www.euro.who.int/foodsafety/Assistance/20040614_1
- Workshop for the development of a national food safety strategy for the Russian Federation, Moscow, Russian Federation, September 2004: http://www.euro.who.int/foodsafety/Assistance/20040729_1