Biotechnology (GM foods) and nanotechnology
- General information on biotechnology
- 20 questions on genetically modified foods
- 53rd World Health Assembly discussion on GM foods
- FAO/WHO Expert Consultations on GM Foods
- WHO study on modern food biotechnology
- Codex work on foods derived from biotechnology
- Related links
Beginning with Louis Pasteur's work with wine, modern food science and technology has made enormous contributions to the safety and availability of food. However, recent developments in the field, while offering to extend this progress, have posed concerns, both real and perceived, about the safety of these technologies. Member States, especially developing ones, increasingly look to WHO to provide sound and unbiased advice on the safety of GM foods.
WHO has been addressing a wide range of issues in the field of biotechnology and human health, including safety evaluation of vaccines produced using biotechnology, human cloning and gene therapy.