Childhood ear problems
Q: How can I prevent ear infections in my child?
A: Most of the ear infections can be prevented by taking good care of our ears. Some of the important issues are listed below.
- Do not let dirty water enter the ear.
- Do not slap children, especially over the ears, as it can damage the ear drum, thereby encouraging infections.
- Ensure early diagnosis and prompt treatment of acute ear infections.
- Educate children about not inserting anything into the ear such as pencils, erasers, hair-pins etc.
Q: When should I take my child to see the doctor regarding any ear problems?
A: If the child has any complaint of the following:
- pain in the ear
- discharge from the ear
- hearing loss
- problems with speech development
- if the child does not understand what you say properly.
With ear problems, you should consult a doctor, as soon as possible.