Sixth session of the Conference of the Parties to the WHO FCTC
The sixth session of the Conference of the Parties (COP6) took place in Moscow , Russian Federation, from 13 to 18 October 2014.
The session was attended by the delegations of 135 Parties, as well as the representatives of six States that are not Party to the Convention, four intergovernmental and ten nongovernmental organizations accredited as observers. Professor Chang jin Moon of the Republic of Korea chaired the session in his capacity as President of the COP.
REPORT OF COP6
The report of the proceedings of the session, which was made available to the Parties for their review according to the Rules of Procedure of the COP, has now been finalized, taking into account the comments received. The final report in English is available below. The other language versions will be posted as soon as they are available.
Decisions adopted by the COP
For the text of all decisions, please consult the COP6 documentation
A few decisions adopted by the COP are highlighted in particular below:
- Adoption of guidelines on Article 6 of the WHO FCTC (Guidelines for implementation of Article 6 of the WHO FCTC (Price and tax measures to reduce the demand for tobacco)
- Guidance on smokeless tobacco products, electronic nicotine delivery systems and electronic non-nicotine delivery systems and waterpipe tobacco products
- Protection of public health policies with respect to tobacco control from commercial and other vested interests of the tobacco industry
- Issues related to implementation of the WHO FCTC and settlement of disputes concerning the implementation or application of the Convention
- Trade and investment issues, including international agreements, and legal challenges in relation to implementation of the WHO FCTC
- Towards a stronger contribution of the Conference of the Parties to achieving the noncommunicable disease global target on reduction of tobacco use
The COP also adopted the Moscow declaration calling for strengthening collaboration to accelerate implementation of the WHO FCTC.
With regard to statutory and institutional matters the COP also:
- adopted the workplan and budget for the financial period 2016-2017;
- decided to accept the offer of India to host the seventh session of the COP in 2016;
- elected the six members of the Bureau of the COP; and
- adopted the process for appointment and renewal of the term of office of the Head of the Convention Secretariat.