Who we need
Employment profiles at WHO
WHO recruits staff on fixed-term or temporary contracts. Staff are grouped in two broad streams: Professional (P) or General Service staff (G). Directors (D) are part of the professional category.
Professional staff are hired internationally and occupy leadership functions or positions that require a significant level of technical expertise. P-staff are mobile and are expected to work across the globe.
General Service staff are hired locally at the respective duty station. Their main role is to work jointly and support P-staff in their roles and to assure the smooth functioning of all administrative matters.
National Professional Officers are nationals of the country in which they serve and perform functions of a professional nature requiring local knowledge, expertise and experience of a national.
- WHO is committed to achieving workforce diversity, aiming to achieve a broad representation of nationals of our member countries. Particular attention is paid to candidates from developing countries and gender balance;
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis;
- All posts are filled in accordance with WHOs competency model.
- Relatives of WHO Staff: Except where another equally well qualified person cannot be recruited, appointment shall not be granted to a person who bears any of the following relationships to a staff member: father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister.
- Candidates under the age of 20 and above the age of 62 will not be considered for any vacancy.
- Policy on Non-Recruitment of Smokers: WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or other tobacco users who do not indicate a willingness to stop smoking. This policy underscores the Organization's commitment to promoting a tobacco-free environment.