Mexico's forum joint statement
National Forum on Exchange of Successful Experiences in Combating Overweight, Obesity and Diabetes
Place: Ixtapan de la Sal, State of Mexico Date: 13-14 February 2014
The Governors and Ministers of Health of Mexico declare, in the context of the National Forum on Exchange of Successful Experiences in Combating Overweight, Obesity and Diabetes, organized by the Health Commission of the National Conference of Governors, that:
- Overweight and obesity are conditions that harm the health of the individuals and raise the prevalence of noncommunicable diseases, main causes of death and disease in the general population. The treatment of these diseases has become a great burden for state and national health systems.
- Health promotion, through education and early detection, are the best methods for combating overweight, obesity and diabetes amongst the general population.
- High quality medical attention improves the health and life of individuals living with diabetes.
- Health legislation and sanitary regulation are necessary to reduce the obesigenic environment that increases the risk for overweight, obesity and diabetes.
Due to this, they are committed to:
- Give their support for the design and implementation of the each state´s strategy to combat overweight, obesity and diabetes.
- To secure the supply of drugs and materials to provide quality medical attention of diabetes, geared towards early detection and control.
- To promote and maintain safe public spaces for physical activity and recreation in all communities.
- To promote the availability of potable water and healthy food in schools.
- To promote local and state legislation in support of the regulatory, health promotion and medical attention actions for overweight, obesity and diabetes.