The Role of the Private Sector
The global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health encourages the food industry and sporting-goods manufacturers to:
- promote healthy diets and physical activity for children in accordance with national guidelines and international standards and the overall aims of the Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health;
- limit the level of saturated fat, trans-fatty acids, free sugars and salt content in existing processed food products and limit portion sizes;
- increase the introduction of innovative, healthy, and nutritious choices for children;
- review current marketing practices to children: particularly with regard to the promotion and marketing of food high in saturated fats, trans-fatty acids, free sugars, or salt;
- provide children and young people with adequate and understandable product and nutrition information;
- assist in developing and implementing physical activity programmes for children.