Requirements for Medical Imaging Services
Requirements at the site:
- Developed as an integral part of national health care systems, according to the needs and social and economic structure of the country, region and area;
- Regulated by governments in accordance with international standards;
- Appropriate to the level of the health care system at which they are provided;
- Appropriate to availability of therapeutic capabilities.
Requirements at the national level:
- Government commitment and support;
- National plan for diagnostic imaging services;
- National radiation protection control authority;
- National regulations on medical devices and radiation protection;
- Specialist advisory groups;
- Inventory and needs assessment;
- Upgrade, repair and maintenance of existing facilities and establishment of new services, as appropriate;
- National quality system.
- Patient-centered, in collaboration with patient safety advocacy groups.
Furthermore, regardless of the type of equipment and procedures used, the following infrastructure is required:
- Trained medical, technical and engineering staff;
- Radiation protection measurements and regulations, especially for optimization of radiation doses delivered during CT and fluroscopy;
- Reliable supplies of clean water, electric power, spare parts and consumables.