Director-General Candidates' Forum on 1-2 November 2016
Election process for the WHO Director-General 2017
The process to elect the next Director-General of the WHO is underway, and key steps are as follows:
- Names of candidates for the next Director-General nominated by Member States were announced on 23 September 2016.
- In October, Member States and candidates were given the opportunity to interact in a password-protected web forum hosted on the WHO website.
- On 1–2 November, a live forum was held, at which candidates presented their vision to WHO Member States and were also be able to answer questions on their candidacy. The candidates’ forum was webcast on the WHO website in all official languages.
- In January 2017, WHO’s Executive Board will draw up a short list of 5 candidates. Executive Board members will then interview these candidates and up to 3 of them to go forward to the World Health Assembly in May 2017.
- At the Seventieth World Health Assembly, Member States will vote in a new Director-General, who will take office on 1 July 2017.