Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that includes viruses that may cause a range of illnesses in humans, from the common cold to SARS. Viruses of this family also cause a number of animal diseases.
This particular strain of coronavirus has not been previously identified in humans. There is very limited information on transmission, severity and clinical impact with only a small number of cases reported thus far.
Novel coronavirus updates
- Update 1: background and summary as of 30 November 2012
- Update 2: background and summary as of 21 December 2012
- Update 3: background and summary as of 14 March 2013
- Update 4: summary and literature update as of 25 April 2013
- Update 5: summary and literature update as of 8 May 2013
- Update 6: summary and literature update as of 17 May 2013