Goals of the World No Tobacco Day 2015 campaign
For World No Tobacco Day 2015, we are calling on countries to work together to end the illicit trade of tobacco products. The goals of the 2015 campaign:
1. Raise awareness on the harm to health caused by tobacco products
Raise awareness on the harm to people’s health caused by the illicit trade in tobacco products, especially the youth and low-income groups, due to the increased accessibility and affordability of these products due to their lower costs.
2. Show how health warnings are undermined
Show how health care gains and programmes, tobacco control policies, like increased tax and prices, pictorial health warnings and other measures are undermined by the illicit trade in tobacco products.
3. Demonstrate the illicit trade of tobacco products
Demonstrate how the tobacco industry has been involved in the illicit trade of tobacco products.
4. Show how criminal groups profit
Highlight how the illicit trade of tobacco products is a means of amassing great wealth for criminal groups to finance other organised crime activities, including drugs, human and arms trafficking, as well as terrorism.
5. Promote the "Protocol to eliminate illicit trade in tobacco products"
Promote the ratification of, accession to and use of the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products by all Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) and its early entry into force through the active involvement of all relevant stakeholders.
- Brochure: Illegal trade of tobacco products. What you should know to stop it
- Poster: Beware! Illegal tobacco
- Key messages
- Fact sheet on tobacco