Photographic Archives, Sub-fonds Photographs
- Reference code : ARC012-1
- Title : Photographic Archives, Sub-fonds Photographs
- Date(s) : 1951-1994
- Level of description : Sub-fonds
- Extent and medium : 15.5 linear m, paper (photographic prints)
- Accruals : No
- Conditions governing access : Open for consultation subject to the deadlines and restrictions in force at WHO
- Conditions governing reproduction : The archives are subject to WHO author's copyright.
- Finding aids : Paper inventory, electronic inventory
- Rules or conventions : Descriptive note in conformity with ISAD(G) norm
At the beginning of 2004, a collection of black and white photographic prints together with the original negatives was discovered. The collection was officially transferred to the archives in May the same year, and is now being classified after having been examined by experts.
This sub-fonds is made up of photographs taken in the field by photographers working for WHO and covering subjects such as malaria, poliomyelitis and tuberculosis in different countries. Several distinguished photographers, including Marc Riboud, Robert Doisneau and David Seymour took part in these missions.
The collection is made up of more than 30 000 original prints dating from the end of the 1940s to the mid 1990s and is classified by WHO Regional Office and by health subject. It is the fruit of the files described in sub-fonds 2.
The images are currently being digitized.