The document of the month
Fifty years ago, WHO under its own roof.
May 1966: WHO moves into its own building after 20 years in the Palais des Nations.
The men who put up the building. Over 1000 workers of various nationalities - Algerians, Austrians, Belgians, British, Finnish, French, Greeks, Italians, Moroccans, Swiss and Yugoslavs - played a part in the construction of the building, chalking up at least 3,000,000 working hours in exactly four years. The team that finished the building is shown on our photo, with the oldest worker, Mr Charles Sauthier, 64, a mason from Geneva, in the middle of the front row. On his right are Dr Marcolino G. Candau, WHO Director-General, Dr Prince Mohan Kaul, Assistant Director General, and Mr Joseph Handler, Director, Division of Public Information. On the left of Mr Sauthier are Dr Pierre Dorolle, WHO Deputy Director General, Dr Milton P. Siegel, Assistant Director General, Dr Lucien Bernard, Assistant Director General, and Mr André Valot, Chief of Conference and Office Services.
WHO photo by Tibor Farkas. Switzerland, 1966.