Below is a selection of peer-reviewed papers, some written by the Alliance staff, others by Alliance grantees (reflecting an Alliance-supported grant) and the rest are HPSR papers of note.
- Ghaffar A, Tran N, Rottingen JA, Kieny MP (2014). Health policy and systems research: building momentum and community.
- Vialle-Valentin CE, Serumaga B, Wagner AK, Ross-Degnan D (2014). Evidence on access to medicines for chronic diseases from household surveys in five low- and middle-income countries.
- Azeredo TB, Luiza VL, Oliveira MA, Emmerick IC, Bigdeli M (2014). Stakeholders` perspectives on access-to-medicines policy and research priorities in Latin America and the Caribbean: face-to-face and web-based interviews
- Adam T, Moat KA, Ghaffar A, Lavis JN (2014). Towards a better understanding of the nomenclature used in the information-packaging efforts to support evidence-informed policymaking in low- and middle-income countries
- Bigdeli M, Javadi D, Hoebert J, Laing R, Ranson M and the AHPSR network of researchers on Access to Medicines (2013). Health policy and systems research in access to medicines: a prioritized agenda for low- and middle-income countries
- Bigdeli M, Zafar S, Assad H, Ghaffar A (2013). Health System Barriers to Access and Use of Magnesium Sulfate for Women with Severe Pre-Eclampsia and Eclampsia in Pakistan: Evidence for Policy and Practice. PLoS ONE 8(3): e59158. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0059158
- Borghi J et al. (2013). Promoting universal financial protection: a case study of new management of community health insurance in Tanzania
- Chirwa ML et al. (2013). Promoting universal financial protection: contracting faith-based health facilities to expand access – lessons learned from Malawi
- Devadasan N et al. (2013). Promoting universal financial protection: evidence from the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) in Gujarat, India
- Emmerick ICM, Oliveira MA, Luiza VL, Azeredo TB, Bigdeli M (2013). Access to medicines in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC): a scoping study
- Ghaffar A, Tran N, Reddy N, Kasonde J, Bajwa T, Ammar W, Ren M, Rottingen J, Mills A (2013). Changing mindsets in health policy and systems research. The Lancet, 381, no. 9865: 436-437.
- Ghaffar A, Zaidi S, Qureshi H, Hafeez, A (2013). Medical education and research in Pakistan. The Lancet, Volume 381, Issue 9885
- Koon A, Rao, K, Tran N, Ghaffar A (2013) Embedding health policy and systems research into decision-making processes in low- and middle-income countries. Health Research Policy and Systems, 11:30.
- Laxminarayan R et al. (2013). Antibiotic resistance—the need for global solutions
- McIntyre D, Ranson MK, Aulakh BK, Honda A (2013). Promoting universal financial protection: evidence from seven low- and middle-income countries on factors facilitating or hindering progress. Health Research Policy and Systems 2013, 11:36
- Nishtar S, Bhutta Z, Jafar T, Ghaffar A, Akhtar T, Bengali K, Isa Q, Rahim E (2013). Health reform in Pakistan: a call to action. The Lancet, Volume 381, Issue 9885
- Onoka C et al. (2013). Promoting universal financial protection: constraints and enabling factors in scaling-up coverage with social health insurance in Nigeria
- Peters DH, Adam T, Alonge O, Agyepong IA, Tran N (2013). Implementation Research: what it is and how to do it
- Rashidian A et al. (2013). Bibliographic review of research publications on access to and use of medicines in low-income and middle-income countries in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: identifying the research gaps
- Tangcharoensathien V et al. (2013).Promoting universal financial protection: how the Thai universal coverage scheme was designed to ensure equity
- Tran NT, Bennett SC, Bishnu R, Singh S (2013). Analyzing the sources and nature of influence: how the Avahan program used evidence to influence HIV/AIDS prevention policy in India
- Uneke C, Ezeoha A, Ndukwe C, Oyibo P, Onwe F, Aulakh B (2013). Research priority setting for health policy and health systems strengthening in Nigeria: the policymakers’ and stakeholders’ perspective and involvement. Pan African Medical Journal, 16(10)
- van Ginneken N, Tharyan P, Lewin S, Rao GN, Meera SM, Pian J, Chandrashekar S, Patel V (2013). Non-specialist health worker interventions for the care of mental, neurological and substance-abuse disorders in low- and middle-income countries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013
- Vargas J, Muiser J (2013).Promoting universal financial protection: a policy analysis of universal health coverage in Costa Rica (1940–2000)
- Yaya Bocoum F, Kouanda S, Kouyaté B, Hounton S, Adam T (2013). Exploring the effects of task shifting for HIV through a systems thinking lens: the case of Burkina Faso
- Zaidi S, Bigdeli M, Aleem N, Rashidian A (2013). Access to Essential Medicines in Pakistan: Policy and Health Systems Research Concerns
- Zoidze A, Rukhazde N, Chkhatarashvili K, Gotsadze G (2013). Promoting universal financial protection: health insurance for the poor in Georgia – a case study
- Adam T & de Savigny D. (2012). Systems thinking for strengthening health systems in LMICs: need for a paradigm shift (Editorial).
- Adam T et al. (2012). Evaluating health systems strengthening interventions in low-income and middle-income countries: are we asking the right questions?
- Atun R. (2012). Health Systems, systems thinking and innovation (Commentary).
- Agyepong IA et al. (2012). When “solutions of yesterday become problems of today”: crisis-ridden decision making in a complex adaptive system (CAS) – The additional duty hours allowance in Ghana
- Bigdeli M et al. (2012). Access to medicines from a health system perspective
- Bosch-Capblanch X et al. (2012) Guidance for Evidence-Informed Policies about Health Systems: Rationale for and Challenges of Guidance Development. PLoS Med 9(3): e1001185
- de Savigny D et al. (2012). Introducing vouchers for malaria prevention in Ghana and Tanzania: context and adoption of innovation in health systems
- Ghaffar A et al. (2012). Changing mindsets in health policy and systems research. Lancet Commentary
- Ghaffar A et al. (2012). Putting health policy and systems research on the map
- Huicho L et al. (2012). Evaluation of interventions on road traffic injuries in Peru: a qualitative approach. BMC Public Health 2012, 12:71
Jacobs B et al. (2012). Addressing access barriers to health services: an analytical framework for selecting appropriate interventions in low-income countries. Health Policy and Planning 2012;27:288–300
- Lavis JN et al. (2012). Guidance for Evidence-Informed Policies about Health Systems: Linking Guidance Development to Policy Development. PLoS Med 9(3): e1001186
- Lewin S et al. (2012). Guidance for Evidence-Informed Policies about Health Systems: Assessing How Much Confidence to Place in the Research Evidence. PLoS Med 9(3): e1001187
Men C et al. (2012). I Wish I Had AIDS. Health, Culture and Society, Volume 1, N°2
- Peters DH et al. (2012). Expecting the unexpected: applying the develop-distort dilemma to maximize positive market impacts in health.
- Swanson RC et al. (2012). Rethinking health systems strengthening: key systems thinking tools and strategies for transformational change.
- Willis C et al. (2012). Strengthening health systems through networks: the need for measurement and feedback.
Zhang X et al. (2012). Factors associated with the household income of persons living with HIV/AIDS in China
- Adam T, Ahmad S, Bigdeli M, Ghaffar A, Røttingen J-A (2011) . Trends in Health Policy and Systems Research over the Past Decade: Still Too Little Capacity in Low-Income Countries. PLoS ONE 6(11):e27263.
Adam T, Ghaffar A. Strategies to enhance the impact of research on human resources for health on policy-making. Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica. 2011 Vol 28 (2).
Annear PL, Bigdeli M, Jacobs B. A functional model for monitoring equity and effectiveness in purchasing health insurance premiums for the poor: Evidence from Cambodia and the Lao PDR. Health Policy and Planning 2011 - in press (doi:10.1016/j.healthpol.2011.03.005)
Bennett et al. (2011). Influencing policy change: the experience of health think tanks in low- and middle-income countries
- Bennett S, Agyepong IA, Sheikh K, Hanson K, Ssengooba F, Bennett S (2011). Building the Field of Health Policy and Systems Research: An Agenda for Action. PLoS Med 8(8): e1001081.
- Gilson L, Hanson K, Sheikh K, Agyepong IA, Ssengooba F, Bennett S (2011). Building the Field of Health Policy and Systems Research: Social Science Matters. PLoS Med 8(8): e1001079.
- Meng Q et al. Expanding health insurance coverage in vulnerable groups: a systematic review of options. Health Policy and Planning 2011; 26: 93-104.
Meessen B et al. Composition of pluralistic health systems: how much can we learn from household surveys? An exploration in Cambodia. Heath Policy and Planning 2011;26:i30–i44
- Mills A. Health policy and systems research:defining the terrain; identifying the methods. Health Policy and Planning (2011);1–7
- Sheikh K, Gilson L, Agyepong IA, Hanson K, Ssengooba F, Bennett S (2011). Building the Field of Health Policy and Systems Research: Framing the Questions. PLoS Med 8(8): e1001073.
- Zhang X, Miege P, Zhang Y (2011). Decentralization of the provision of health services to people living with HIV/AIDS in rural China: the case of three counties. Health Research Policy and Systems 2011; 9(9).
Zhang Y et al. (2011) Impact of HIV/AIDS on Social Relationships in Rural China
- Bigdeli M et al. A role for user charges? Thoughts from health financing reforms in Cambodia. Background paper for the World Health Report 2010. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010.
Brugha R et al. Health workforce responses to global health initiatives funding: a comparison of Malawi and Zambia. Human Resources for Health 2010; 8:19.
Cameron D et al. Bridging the gaps among research, policy and practice in ten low- and middle-income countries: Development and testing of a questionnaire for researchers. Health Research Policy and Systems 2010; 8:4.
- El-Jardali F et al. Eliciting stakeholders' opinions to help shape health system research priorities in nine low and middle income countries in the Middle East and North Africa Region. Health Policy and Planning 2010; 25:15-27.
Guindon GE et al. Bridging the gaps among research, policy and practice in ten low- and middle-income countries: Development and testing of a questionnaire for health-care providers. Health Research Policy and Systems 2010; 8:3
- Ir P et al. Translating knowledge into policy and action to promote health equity: The Health Equity Fund policy process in Cambodia 2000–2008. Health Policy 2010; 96: 200–209.
Kiwanuka SN et al. Effects of Interventions to manage dual practice (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010
Koehlmoos TP et al. An Internal Health Systems Research Portfolio Assessment of a Low Income Country Research Institution. Health Research Policy and Systems 2010; 8(8)
- Li-ying J et al. Means Testing for Targeting Population in Health Programs: A Systematic Review. Chinese Journal of Evidence-Base Medicine 2010; 10: 773-783. (Chinese)
Meng Q et al. Outreach strategies for expanding health insurance coverage in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010; (8).
Meng Q et al. Expanding health insurance coverage in vulnerable groups: a systematic review of options. Health Policy and Planning 2010.
Onwujekwe OE et al. Investigating determinants of out-of-pocket spending and strategies for coping with payments for healthcare in southeast Nigeria. BMC Health Services Research 2010; 10(67).
- Ranson MK et al. Priorities for research into human resources for health in low- and middle-income countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2010; 88: 435-43.
Ranson MK et al. Establishing health system financing research priorities in developing countries using a participatory methodology. Social Science and Medicine.2010 Jun;70(12):1933-42
Remme JHF et al. Defining Research to Improve Health Systems. PLoS Med 2010; 7(11).
Ritz LA et al. A bibliometric study of publication patterns in access to medicines research in developing countries. Southern Medical Review 2010; 3: 2-6.
Spicer N et al. National and subnational HIV/AIDS coordination: are global health initiatives closing the gap between intent and practice? Globalization and Health 2010; 6(3).
- Uneke CJ et al. Development of Health Policy and Systems Research in Nigeria: Lessons for Developing Countries’ Evidence-Based Health Policy Making Process and Practice. Healthcare Policy 2010; 6: 109-126.
Viergever R et al. A checklist for health research priority setting: nine common themes of good practice. Health Research Policy and Systems 2010; 8(36).
El-Jardali, F et al. Assessment of human resources management practices in Lebanese hospitals. Human Resources for Health 2009; 7(84).
Hoffman S, Lavis J, Bennett S. The use of research evidence in two international organisations’ recommendations about health systems. Healthcare Policy 2009; 5: 66-86.
- Jia L et al. Methods of Systematic Review of Health Policy Researches. Chinese Journal of Evidence-Base Medicine 2009; 10: 1037-1043. (Chinese)
Koehlmoos TP et al. (2009). The effect of social franchising on access to and quality of health services in low- and middle-income countries. The Cochrane Library 2009, Issue 2
Pariyo GW et al. Effects of changes in the pre-licensure education of health workers on health-worker supply. The Cochrane Library 2009; (2).
Ranson MK et al. Priority Setting and Health Policy and Systems Research. Health Research Policy and Systems 2009; 7(27).
Woelk G et al. Translating research into policy: lessons learned from eclampsia treatment and malaria control in three southern African countries. Health Research Policy and Systems 2009, 7:31
Bennett S et al. From Mexico to Mali: progress in health policy and systems research. Lancet 2008; 372: 1571-8.
Chopra M et al. Effects of policy options for human resources for health: an analysis of systematic reviews. Lancet 2008: 371: 668-74.
Djibuti M et al. Human resources for health challenges of public health system reform in Georgia. Human Resources for Health 2008; 6(8).
Lehmann U et al. Staffing remote rural areas in middle- and low-income countries: A literature review of attraction and retention. BMC Health Services Research 2008; 8(19).
McCoy, D, et al. Salaries and incomes of health workers in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet 2008; 371: 675–81.
- Yu B et al. Study on the Role of Financial Risk Pooling of Different Health Security Mechanisms in Low and Middle Income Counties. Chinese Journal of Evidence-Base Medicine 2008; 8: 833-841.
El-Jardali F et al. Human resources for health planning and management in the Eastern Mediterranean region: facts, gaps and forward thinking for research and policy. Human Resources for Health 2007; 5(9).
- Oxman AD et al. Use of evidence in WHO recommendations. Lancet 2007; 369: 1883-1889.
Mubyazi GM, Gonzalez-Block M. Research influence on antimalarial drug policy change in Tanzania: case study of replacing chloroquine with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine as the first-line drug. Malaria Journal 2005; 4(51).
- Onwujekwe O, Uzochukwu B. Socio-economic and geographic differentials in costs and payment strategies for primary healthcare services in Southeast Nigeria. Health Policy 2005; 71: 383-397.
Gonzalez-Block M. Health policy and systems research agendas in developing countries. Health Research Policy and Systems 2004; 2(6).
Gonzalez-Block M, Mills A. Assessing capacity for health policy and systems research in low and middle-income countries. Health Research Policy and Systems 2003; 1(1).
Hanney S et al. The utilisation of health research in policy-making: concepts, examples and methods of assessment. Health Research Policy and Systems 2003; 1(2).
Gonzalez-Block M et al. Beyond health gain: the range of health system benefits expressed by social groups in Mexico and Central America. Social Science & Medicine 2001; 52: 1537–1550.