MDG 1: eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
Reviewed December 2014
Target 1C. Halve the proportion of people who suffer from hunger
Globally, there is evidence of improvements in children's nutritional status.
The target of reducing extreme poverty rates by half was met five years ahead of the 2015 deadline. In 1990, nearly half of the population in the developing regions lived on less than $1.25 a day. This rate dropped to 14 per cent in 2015.
WHO is working with countries:
- to build capacity in using standard growth assessment tools;
- to assist in planning and conducting nutritional surveys;
- to support the analysis and interpretation of nutritional survey results;
- to support the development of nutritional surveillance systems;
- to strengthen and support the development of nutritional surveillance systems;
- to develop national nutrition plans and policies; and
- to strengthen the delivery of essential nutrition actions.