For a woman, infertility (or a state of subfertility) can manifest itself as either:
- the inability to become pregnant
- an inability to maintain a pregnancy
- an inability to carry a pregnancy to a live birth.
When men and women attempt to have a child or to expand their family, the causes and the difficulties encountered can be complex. Many simple, as well as more complex medical interventions can be attempted to help a couple or an individual to reach a state of pregnancy or to be able to maintain a pregnancy which results in a live birth.
WHO programmes and projects
- Biomedical infertility care in poor resource countries: barriers, access and ethics
- Mother or nothing: the agony of infertility
- WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen